Purpose: The Sr. Project Engineer is responsible for providing innovative and comprehensive solutions in design engineering for commercial and utility-scale solar photovoltaic projects. Apply engineering principles and superior client service skills to cultivate and deliver projects that exceed expectations.
- Apply knowledge of industry standards and engineering design principles.
- Apply knowledge of renewable energy systems, including photovoltaic (PV), Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS), combustion generation, standby power, and knowledge of associated microgrid design principles.
- Apply knowledge and develop necessary customer deliverables such as one-line diagrams, equipment specifications (including transformers, MCC, switchgear, and substation equipment); power plans, conduit plans, cable schedules, system studies, and protective relay settings.
- Routinely interact with, manage, and serve clients.
- Evaluates, selects, specifies, and provides engineering oversight for all engineered systems or products for a project.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various phases including site plans, diagrams, and details.
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, subcontractors, and vendors.
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects and projects of peers.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the electrical group.
- Assists with the development of proposals.
- Oversees and manages multiple projects.
- Participates in constructability review.
- The successful Project Engineer will demonstrate a “client first” approach in developing key relationships.
- Maintains current knowledge of technologies and trends, as they apply to the applicable project and market types, and continually strengthens skills.
- Attend meetings with clients, state and local permitting authorities, subcontractors, and vendors regarding engineering and technical issues related to the project.
- Conduct detailed site evaluations.
- Manage professional engineer review process to obtain PE stamps on drawing packages.
- Provide engineering/technical input and direction to site evaluation, interconnect agreements, and other associated tasks.
Capabilities and Credentials
- Knowledge of power systems including, but not limited to, combustion power plants, generation systems, photovoltaic (PV/solar) systems, and battery energy storage systems (BESS).
- Demonstrate broad general knowledge of electrical industrial and utility power projects.
- Demonstrate broad technical knowledge and experience in multiple areas of specialization and/or business operations management within the organization.
- Demonstrated knowledge of solar energy project design and development.
- Ability to manage clients, projects, and staff to achieve budget, schedule, and deliverable objectives.
- Strong knowledge of applicable codes and standards.
- Working understanding and knowledge of power distribution systems, low and medium voltage systems.
- Working knowledge of electric utility markets.
- Ability to apply sustainable design principles within projects.
- Strong client communication and interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge of recent versions of AutoCAD and/or other design software as it relates to power system design. PVSyst is required and ETAP is a plus.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Procore a plus.
- Travel is required to meet engagement/client requirements – may include regional or national based on the contracted requirements.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in solar engineering & design and BESS.
- Experience in Photovoltaic and other generation projects.
- Engineer-in-training or in the process of obtaining the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE), with the ability to obtain a Professional Engineer’s license is preferred.
- Successful history of collaboration and teaming with contractors on Design-Build (DB)
- History of field oversight for power-related construction projects, specifically Photovoltaic projects.
- Experience in the construction industry and/or in-depth knowledge of construction processes.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities, and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Core Development Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.