Purpose: Senior Solar Design Engineer will be working with our Engineering, Operations, Estimating, and Business Development teams to design high-quality and efficient solar PV systems. Responsibilities include solar energy system design and layout; interconnection design and equipment selection; energy production analysis; engineering support during construction, evaluating future technologies; and developing internal intellectual property products and offerings.
Reports to: Engineering Manager
- Develop detailed layouts and electrical design packages for solar PV systems, BESS, and EV Chargers that meet all contractual, code, and permitting requirements
- Lead the company’s CAD design template creation
- Provide value engineering solutions during the development, proposal, pre-construction, and construction phases
- Coordinate with civil, structural, and electrical engineering firms to obtain detailed design packages.
- Develop single-line and three-line site plan diagrams with required electrical details for solar PV systems in accordance with NEC, IEEE, NESC, utility interconnection tariffs and requirements, and local AHJ as necessary
- Provide support as necessary on the interconnection application until achieving PTO.
- Attend meetings with clients, State and local permitting authorities, subcontractors, and vendors regarding engineering and technical issues related to the solar PV system, BESS, and EV.
- Coordinate and obtain DAS/SCADA designs for solar PV systems from third-party monitoring companies
- Support the project engineer and team as necessary with technical specifications and scopes of work for engineering firms and contractors including major equipment selection and BOM
- Support Sr. Project Engineers during construction until achieving COD
- Coordinate electrical integration and interconnection of energy storage systems
- Establish Solar PV basis of design including module selection, string sizing, etc.
- Mentor and train team members on project design, interconnection, and energy modeling
- Potential to lead the project pre-sales design and coordination process
- Provide engineering support during commissioning as necessary
Qualifications and Skills
- 4-year degree in Engineering (Electrical or Mechanical preferred)
- 5 or more years of solar PV design
- Preferred experience in electrical interconnection design & coordination (LV & MV)
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Helioscope, and PVSYST
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- NABCEP Certified PV Design Specialist is an advantage
- OSHA 30 preferred with the ability to do a site evaluation and switchgear discovery
- PE License a plus
- Willingness and ability to clearly define objectives, exercise sound technical judgment, take on increasing levels of responsibility, and thrive in a small, flexible, and dynamic work environment
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal skills, including the ability to communicate in a positive manner with project managers, other engineering/design team members, management, and installation contractors to foster an environment of superior coordination
- Good problem-solving and critical thinking abilities and a proactive work ethic.
- Must take accountability for own body of work, closing each project by design completion efficiently, while maintaining accuracy and strict attention to detail
- Strong ability to apply innovative and creative skills to problem-solving
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities, and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Core Development Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.