Director of Engineering
Purpose: The Director of Engineering is responsible to oversee the engineering due diligence, design, and project engineering of our solar PV projects Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS), and Electric Vehicle Charging Station Projects during pre-construction, and construction phases, and providing engineering feedback for projects in development stages.
- Manage, assign, and oversee the internal CAD design, functions, and deliverables in support of pre-construction and construction projects under quality, cost control, and time-sensitive conditions. Lead the solar engineering equipment specifications and system performance modeling for pre-construction projects
- Support technical evaluation and due diligence reviews for new C&I and large-scale and EV projects
- Leads and support key functional areas with documentation of technical specification for solar and EV-specific equipment (modules, inverters tracker systems, transformers, storage, and EV battery charges)
- Support PV plant, and testing including documentation of testing plans related to acceptance tests and energy guarantees.
- Performs risk and economic analysis of design configurations and equipment selection and presents to executive leadership.
- Oversee the project engineering team to ensure document control, technical logistics, communication protocols, submittals, RFI, design reviews, and approvals.
- Collaborate with VP of Engineering to streamline coordination, communications, and planning of internal and external Engineering activities with key stakeholders (Engineering, Operations, Engineering service providers)
- Collaborate and coordinate with the Director of Operations and Project Management to deliver assets per contract, on schedule, at or better than budget, in the highest quality manner
- Review and assist Project Management in writing scopes of work as requested
- Become familiar with relevant state, county, city, and utility codes, procedures, regulations, and interconnection requirements pertinent to projects
- Engineering inspections with federal, state, and local agencies
- Support permitting applications through State and Federal government agencies, submitting and obtaining building permits from Townships. Liaise and manage relationships with governmental, environmental as well as engineering firms and consultants to prepare all necessary documentation for presentation to the proper authorities to obtain permits and licenses
- Implement all Engineering corrective actions scope of work and issue work orders to Subcontractors
- Oversee and approve all outsourced design Engineering work - Structural, Electrical, and Civil Engineering - and ensure all Federal and state code requirements are met, safety, and contractual obligations are met, and implemented into the design
- Create 3rd party Engineering service comprehensive body of vendors and partners to utilize for the breadth of scope
- Perform 3rd party QA/QC inspection reporting review, consultation, and corrections to vendors
- Review, redline, and approve all internal and 3rd party Engineering work
- Responsible for assisting with the training of Stakeholders on newly installed systems with proper shutdown and start-up procedures
- Review, approve, and deliver all project-based engineering contractual obligations for utility and distributed generation PV projects
- Prepare, review, and/or approve project budgets, payment schedules, POs, and cost controls
- Assist VP of Engineering with procurement, budget responsibilities, invoice management, and deliverables
- Define and enforce project engineering milestones and deadlines and meet Engineering project schedules at or better than budget
- Assist the team to evaluate RFPs and other new opportunities
- Strong leadership experience with supervisory, management, and administrative abilities
- Proven project management experience with commercial and utility-scale PV demonstrating a progressive increase in responsibility for multi-million-dollar, multi-megawatt PV BESS projects
- Substation and medium voltage experience with utility-scale PV BESS
- In-depth knowledge of PV systems, components, industry standards, and trends
- Familiar with a variety of engineering design and application concepts, practices, and procedures (e.g., electrical structural, civil, geotechnical, constructability, and code standards)
- Demonstrated ability to develop new Engineering vendor relationships quickly and develop rapport with stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to manage and effectively engage with cross-functional employee groups of all levels and competencies
- Multi-national company experience a plus
- Self-starter, able to manage and mentor various types and experienced levels of staff
- High level of professionalism with attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Superior time management and interpersonal skills
- 10 years of PV electrical experience preferred
- 5 years minimum engineering/construction / General Contracting and/or trade electrical background
- Professional Electrical Engineer licensing (PE) a plus.
- NABCEP certification a plus
- High proficiency with MS Office 365 (Word, Excel, Teams), Procore
- High proficiency with AutoCAD, PV Watts, PVSYST, HelioScope, and other related software
- Strong departmental and project engineering budgeting experience required
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field required
- M.S. Electrical Engineering a plus and five-plus years’ experience in the power generation industry (solar experience preferred).
New Jersey/Bergen County, NJ (remote locations across the US are a possibility for the right candidate)
Up to 20%
Core Development Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.