Director of Engineering
Title: Director of Engineering
Purpose: The Director of Engineering at Core Development Group is a versatile and diligent leader who oversees the due diligence, design and engineering of our solar PV projects, Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) and Electric Vehicle Charging Station Projects.
- Manage, assign and oversee engineering (Eng) department staff and deliverables, both internal and 3rd party, under quality and cost controlled, and time sensitive conditions
- Set up internal and external communications as they pertain to the project’s Eng in collaboration with VP Project Management and Stakeholder interface
- Collaborate and participate with the Operations Department to deliver assets per contract, on schedule, at or better than budget, in the highest quality manner
- Review and assist Project Management in writing scopes of work as requested
- Become familiar with relevant state, county, city, and utility codes, procedures, regulations, and interconnection requirements pertinent to projects
- Coordination with Project Management of all necessary Eng inspections with federal, state and local agencies
- Responsible for all permitting applications through State and Federal government agencies, submitting and obtaining building permits from Townships. Liaise and manage relationships with governmental, environmental as well as engineering firms and consultants to prepare all necessary documentation for presentation to the proper authorities in order to obtain permits and licenses
- Implement all Eng corrective actions scope of work and issue work orders to Subcontractors
- Oversee all outsourced design Engineering work - Structural, Electrical and Civil Engineering - and insure all Federal and state code requirements are met, safety, and contractual obligations are met and implemented into design
- Create 3rd party Eng service comprehensive body of vendors and partners to utilize for breadth of scope
- Perform 3rd party QA/QC inspection reporting review, consultation, and corrections to vendors
- Review and redline all internal and 3rd party Engineering work
- Responsible for assisting with the training of Stakeholders on newly installed systems with proper shut down and start up procedures
- Review, approve, and deliver all project based Eng contractual obligations for utility and distributed generation PV projects
- Prepare, review, and/or and approve project Eng budgets, payment schedules, POs and cost controls
- Assist VP of Operations with procurement, budget responsibilities, invoice management and deliverables
- Define and enforce project Eng milestones and deadlines and meet Eng project schedules at or better than budget
- Assist the team to evaluate RFPs and other new opportunities
- Design and engineer PV and BESS project designs (PE stamp one-line drawings)
- Review and finalization of ESAs and PSAs
- Support the Development team with all preliminary due diligence on projects
- Review and approve all PVSyst reports generated by Sales Engineering/Estimating.
- Review and approve all 30% Design Documents generated by Sales Engineering/Estimating.
- Organize and perform preliminary Eng Team site visits for evaluation and feasibility of design
- Assist with and provide technical content for creation project manuals and O&M manuals
- Oversee Eng phases throughout the life cycle of all projects, including but not limited to coordination and assignment of tasks for internal and 3rd party Eng Teams
- Responsible for all MV interconnections and documentation submittals to utility and AHJ
- Create accurate BOS lists per design
- Strong EE leadership experience with supervisory, management and administrative abilities
- Proven project management experience with commercial and utility scale PV demonstrating a progressive increase in responsibility for multi-million-dollar, multi-megawatt PV projects
- Substation and medium voltage experience with utility scale PV
- In depth knowledge of PV systems, components, industry standards and trends
- Demonstrated ability to develop new Eng vendor relationships quickly and develop rapport with stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to manage and effectively engage with cross-functional employee groups of all levels and competencies
- Multi-national company experience a plus
- Self-starter, able to manage and mentor various types and experienced levels of staff
- High level of professionalism with attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Superior time management and interpersonal skills
- Professional Electrical Engineer licensing (PE) required
- 7-10 years PV electrical experience preferred
- 5 years minimum construction / General Contracting and/or trade electrical background
- NABCEP certification a plus
- High proficiency with MS Office 365 (Word, Excel, Teams), Procore
- High proficiency with AutoCAD, PV Watts, PVSYST, Helioscope and other related software
- Strong departmental and project Eng budgeting experience required
- B.S. Electrical Engineering required
- M.S. Electrical Engineering a plus
- Any courses in PV will be considered a plus
- Bergen County, NJ
- Remote work in the US possible for the right candidate
Travel: up to 20%
- Comprehensive medical and prescription drug coverage starting the first day of the new month after 60 days of full-time employment. Core contributes 50% of the monthly premium for you as well as your spouse and family if you choose to enroll them.
- Dental and Vision coverage the first day of the new month after 60 days of full-time employment Core also contributes 50% of these premiums each month.
- Ten (10) days paid vacation accruing in the first year, with 1.5 days additional days accruing each subsequent year up to a maximum of twenty (20) days a year.
- Nine (9) paid holidays each year.
- Six (6) sick leave days (48 hours) each year.
- 401K retirement savings plan with 3% employer contribution, eligibility begins on the first day of the new month after 180 days of full-time employment.
- Work-related continuing education reimbursement and on-the-job internal training.
Compensation: Based upon the level of experience.
Core Development Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.